Buying a new office chair can be daunting, especially if you’re buying for an entire department of employees. Whether you need a chair with extra lumbar support or adjustability, you need a chair that works for everyone.
As the newest addition to the Steelcase seating portfolio, the Series 2 is an attainable, high-performance chair that provides extensive style choices and sophisticated support.
Here at Egyptian Workspace Partners, we have 140 years of industry experience in helping clients find exactly what they need for their office, including the perfect office task chair.
In this review, we'll help you learn everything you need to know about the Steelcase Series 2, so you'll be able to determine whether it's the best office chair for you and your team.
Specs of the steelcase Series 2
Before we look at its features and adjustments, let’s break down the specifications of the standard Steelcase Series 2 task chair:
- Overall Height - 38" - 42.5"
- Overall Width - 27"
- Overall Depth - 21" - 23.75"
- Seat Width - 19"
- Back Height - 22.5"
Key Features of the steelcase Series 2
Air LiveBack Technology
The Series 2 features Air LiveBack Technology, which works through an innovative geometric design to flex in two dimensions and provide personalized comfort and support for each part of your spine as you move.
Weight-Activated Back Tension
The Series 2 also has a weight-activated back tension mechanism that responds automatically as users sit to provide the proper amount of ergonomic support.
It works in unison with the seat and backrest to be synchronized for comfort as users recline, as well as 4D adjustable armrests to support their neck and shoulders while they work.
The mechanism is also connected with the comfort dial, which provides three adjustment settings for additional personalization.
Dynamic Seat Cushion
With adaptive seat bolstering, the Series 1 conforms to every user’s unique shape to provide instant comfort. The seat depth adjusts to every recline position, while the flexible seat edge encourages collaboration with others.
Pros of the steelcase Series 2
While the Series 2 may not be as adjustable as the Amia, it has more ergonomic features than the Series 1, and is designed to provide every user with quick, simple adjustments and personalized support:
- Air LiveBack Technology - This technology works through an innovative geometric design that flexes in two dimensions as the user moves to provide personalized comfort and fit.
- Advanced Weight-Activated Mechanism - The weight-activated mechanism supports users based on how they sit in their chair to ensure they stay focused on their work.
- Seat Depth Adjustment - The seat depth adjusts within a 2.5" range to position the seat forward or backward to accommodate various leg lengths. To lock in place, release the handle.
- Seat Height Adjustment - The seat height adjusts within a 5" range with a pneumatic adjustment mechanism. To lower, hold the handle up while seated. To raise, hold the handle up and keep your weight off the chair.
- Height-Adjustable Lumbar Support - The optional height-adjustable lumbar adjusts 3.75" to provide additional back support and comfortably fit the curve of your back. To adjust, grab the exposed tabs and slide the lumbar support up or down.
- Comfort Dial Back Control - The comfort dial provides three comfort settings to conform to every user's personal sitting preferences: an upright back lock, a full recline with weight-activated tension and a full recline with weight-activated tension and boost.
- 4D Adjustable Arms - The armrests move in height, width and depth, and pivot to support the user's neck and shoulders, even as they change tasks, move and collaborate. They adjust within a 4" height range, a 2.25" width range and pivot 30° in and out.
Despite its slim profile and light-scale appearance, the Series 2 is extremely durable and provides users with a maximum weight limit of 400 pounds.
BIFMA testing standards require roughly 20 tests for task seating. Steelcase performs more than 80 tests at higher weight capacities to ensure they meet and exceed the highest industry standards.
Priced in the high $300s to low $400s, the Series 2 is affordable without compromising adjustments and ergonomic support. As with any other chair, the price will go up once you start adding features.
Cons of the steelcase Series 2
Lack of Available Information
Since the Series 2 is so new, there’s a lack of information available online, and there aren’t any reviews from real-life users either. Unfortunately, this means you won’t be able to find information about any issues at this time.
steelcase Series 2 Warranty Information
Steelcase offers a limited global warranty on all products, including the Amia. Structural elements, such as the seat and armrests, are covered for the lifetime of the owner.
The mechanisms, arm caps, foam padding, cylinders, and casters are covered for 12 years. Textiles are covered anywhere from five to 12 years, depending on the type of upholstery.
steelcase Series 2 Customization Options
With 19 interchangeable back and 3D microknit colors, as well as three frame finishes, the Series 2 provides users with several different material and design options.
The Series 2 is available as a standard task chair and in a stool version, so you can create a chair that’s truly unique to you:
- Frame Color Options - The Series 2 has three frame finishes: black, seagull and sterling dark.
- Back Style Options - The Series 2 offers five back styles: a plastic airback, 3D microknit, smooth upholstery, quilted upholstery and an optional fabric back cover.
- Additional Options - The Series 2 also comes with either an optional headrest or coat rack.
Is the Steelcase Series 2 Right for You?
When it’s time to upgrade your office chair, it’s important to consider whether you’re buying for yourself or your employees. You’ll also want to consider what features you need and what your budget looks like.
Still, it’s a great mid-market option that provides comfort and ergonomic support without breaking the bank.
Want to learn more about office seating? Download our comprehensive guide below for an in-depth look at some of the best office task chairs available!