Regardless of where you work, technology is everywhere. Unfortunately, technology can cause discomfort that keeps you from being productive, which is why you need an office chair that supports you and how you work.
The Steelcase Gesture sets a new industry standard. Inspired by a global study with over 2,000 participants in 11 different countries, it was designed to support a wide range of technologies, postures and user sizes.
Here at Egyptian Workspace Partners, we have 140 years of industry experience in helping clients find everything they need for the workplace, including but not limited to the perfect office chair.
Using third-party information, product knowledge and our own expertise, this unbiased review will address everything you need to know about the Steelcase Gesture, so you can decide if it's the office task chair you need.
Specs of the STEELCASE Gesture
Before we go any further, let's take a look at the specifications of the standard Gesture:
- Overall Depth - 21” – 23.625”
- Overall Width - 22.375” – 34.625”
- Overall Height - 39.25” – 44.25”
- Seat Height - 16” – 21”
- Seat Width - 20”
Key Features of the STEELCASE Gesture
Greater Range of Technology
Technology is essential to the modern workplace. While technology positively impacts how we complete tasks, it can also cause pain that disrupts your work, concentration and creativity.
The Gesture has a 360° arm that's highly adjustable and moves like a human arm to support users typing on a keyboard or texting on a smartphone without compromising healthy movement.
Greater Range of Postures
Other office task chairs are designed to hold a static upright position. The Gesture, however, can support a wide range of postures through the back, seat and arms.
Using 3D LiveBack Technology, the Gesture mimics the natural motion of the spine by conforming to their natural movement and contouring to all postures. creating a deep recline.
Additionally, the optional Gesture headrest is integrated into the design. It takes the size of your head, neck length and desired range of motion into consideration to support a greater range of sizes.
Greater Range of User Sizes
In today's workplace, most office task chairs are one size fits all. As an exception to that rule, the Gesture provides everyone with personalized and custom support.
The Gesture offers several adjustments, including an extended tension range and arm width, as well as a wider-than-average seat with adaptive bolstering to support more users.
Pros of the STEELCASE Gesture
The Gesture is built around factors like head size, head shape, neck length, and desired range of motion.
It has adjustment controls that are easily discoverable, easy to reach and provide immediate feedback. The seat controls are located on the front knob, and the back controls are located on the back knob.
The headrest offers better adjustability with a 5-inch range of height adjustment, 4 inches of forward-backward pivot movement, and 90 degrees of rotation to fit 99% of the world population.
Equipped with a variety of ergonomic adjustments, the Gesture is designed to support users with different body types and seating preferences:
- Seat Depth Adjustment – The seat depth adjusts within a 3” range to accommodate users of varying heights and ensure long-term comfort. To extend the seat depth, remain seated and turn the knob away from you.
- Seat Height Adjustment –The seat height adjusts within a 5” range with a curve-shaped adjustment mechanism. To raise your chair, lift your body weight, and hold the lever up. To lower the chair, remain seated and hold the lever up.
- Height-Adjustable Lumbar – The height-adjustable lumbar adjusts 5” to fit the curve of your lower back and provide additional lower back support.
- Upper Back Force – In five complete turns, the upper back force controls the amount of resistance you feel as you recline. You can have a slow recline, a fast recline, or lock the chair in place.
- Variable Back Stop – The variable backstop sets the angle of recline to one of five positions.
- Adjustable Arms – The adjustable arms can adjust 4 ½” overall to provide forearm support and keep your arms, shoulders, and neck properly aligned. The arm caps can also pivot 30˚ in and out to accommodate individual user preferences.
- Core Equalizer – The core equalizer is the clamshell-looking device that connects the seat and back. It recognizes the angle of your recline and automatically adjusts the amount of lumbar resistance based on your size and recline position.
- 3D LiveBack Technology – LiveBack Technology is a design of the backrest that flexes and mimics the natural shape of the spine while changing postures. It provides you with full back support, whether sitting upright, reclined, or anywhere in between.
Despite its minimalist appearance, the Gesture is made out of sturdy, high-quality materials, and is designed to support users weighing up to 400 pounds.
BIFMA testing standards require roughly 20 tests for task seating. Steelcase goes a step further by performing more than 80 additional tests at higher weight capacities to ensure the highest quality standards.
Cons of the STEELCASE Gesture
The price of the Gesture starts in the mid $800s, making it significantly more expensive than other office task chairs. However, with its ergonomic features and customization options, the value is unmatched.
Instead of buying and replacing a $200 office chair every few years, you can invest in an expensive task chair like the Gesture and save yourself from spending even more money down the road.
lack of Back-Height Adjustment
Although it has a wide range of adjustments, the Gesture does not have a back-height adjustment and may not be the best option for someone above the 95th percentile.
While it can withstand almost any use, the Gesture weighs more than 70 pounds. It can be extremely difficult to maneuver, even if more than one person is trying to move it.
Damages Your Clothing
According to some users, the Gesture can damage clothing. Depending on how the armrests are adjusted, they can rip or snag your pockets as you sit down in the chair.
STEELCASE Gesture WARRANTY INFORMATION
Steelcase offers a limited global warranty on all products, including the Gesture chair. Structural elements, such as the seat and armrests, are covered for life.
The mechanisms, arm caps, foam padding, cylinders and casters are covered for 12 years. Depending on the type of upholstery, textiles are covered anywhere from five to 12 years.
STEELCASE Gesture Customization Options
The Gesture is available in a variety of customizable options, including a stool height version, an adjustable lumbar support, and an optional headrest. It also offers several different material and finish options:
- Color Options – The Gesture has four color scheme options: light/light, dark/light, dark/dark and black/black.
- Back Style Options – The Gesture chair has two options of back styles: an upholstered wrap back or shell back.
- Upholstery Options – The Gesture is available in six leather options and over 50 fabric colors.
- Base Options – The Gesture has two base options: a frame-matching base or aluminum base.
- Arm Options – The Gesture is available with fixed arms or no arms at all.
- Additional Options – The Gesture chair is also available with glides and an optional coat hanger.
What Our Team Members Have to Say
Still not sure if the Gesture chair is right for you? Take it from our interior designer, Kate Rumaltz, who uses the Gesture every day:
“As Egyptian's designer, I spend many hours sitting while working on your beautiful project. Sitting for long periods was often a struggle in the past from an old tailbone injury. Discovering the Gesture chair changed my work life drastically. I have had very few flare ups of pain in the last few years while using Gesture. It's my favorite chair for both comfort and aesthetic- I hope you will love your Gesture as much as I do!”
Is the Steelcase Gesture Right for You?
In the end, the office chair you choose will depend on a variety of factors, such as pricing, customization options and comfort. It'll also depend on whether you're buying for yourself or an entire company.
The Steelcase Gesture has more features than the Series 1, Series 2, Amia, Think or Leap. If you're looking for a highly customizable chair that integrates with technology and fits most users, it may be the one for you.
However, if you're on a budget, it may be out of your price range. Still, with the lifetime warranty, the Gesture may be a worthwhile investment if your goal is to save money in the long haul.
Want to learn more about office seating? Download our comprehensive guide below for an in-depth look at some of the best office task chairs available!