Are you looking for an office task chair that's aesthetically pleasing and affordable? Regardless of who you're buying for, the AMQ Jaku chair is a mid-market option that checks both of these boxes.
As AMQ's top-of-the-line task chair, the Jaku combines high-performance seating with dynamic style. With its ergonomic features and design possibilities, it's fully customizable - and reasonably priced, too.
Here at Egyptian Workspace Partners, we have more than 25 years of experience in helping clients find the perfect office chair for their business.
If you want to learn more about the Jaku chair, you've come to the right place. In this review, we'll use third-party information and our own knowledge to help you decide if it's the right chair for you.
Specs of the AMQ Jaku Task Chair
The Jaku is available as a task chair, conference chair, and executive chair. Let's take a look at the specifications of the standard task chair:
- Overall Depth: 17.75"
- Overall Width: 27"
- Overall Height: 39.25" - 42.5"
- Seat Height: 17" - 20.25"
- Seat Width: 19.25"
- Product Weight: 38 ;bs.
- Weight Capacity: 275 lbs.
Key Features of the AMQ Jaku Task Chair
Unlimited Design Possibilities
If you're looking for a stylish and customizable office chair, the Jaku is a great option.
It's available in two frame colors, three base options, and more than 50 different fabrics for endless design opportunities.
Removeable Seat Covers
The Jaku has removeable seat covers in the Radiance, Buzz, Era, and Connect fabric collections.
These seat covers have zippers and Velcro closures, so you can easily clean or replace the fabric seats.
Pros of the AMQ Jaku Task Chair
The Jaku has a sliding seat and a waterfall seat design to accommodate users of all body types.
It also has a backrest upholstered in a honeycomb, knitted mesh to provide breathable, ergonomic support.
With its intuitive adjustments, the Jaku is fully customizable to user preferences.
It comes with standard features such as the seat depth adjustment, back tension, and back lock.
To maximize comfort, there are features you can add.
For example, the step sync mechanism comes standard with the Jaku, while the smart sync mechanism is a premium feature:
- Step Sync Mechanism - The step sync mechanism has a multi-position lock, a tension knob, an upright stop, and an exposed knob on the front of the mechanism.
- Smart Sync Mechanism - The smart sync mechanism is fully concealed and has a variable backstop, an intuitive back tension dial, and an upright stop.
- Three-Way Adjustable Arms - As an optional feature, the adjustable armrests move in three directions: forward and backwards, side-to-side, and up and down.
- Height-Adjustable Lumbar Support - The lumbar support is designed to provide additional lower back support. To adjust, place your hands on the left or right sides of the chair to glide up or down.
- Seat Depth Adjustment - The seat depth adjusts to ensure all-day comfort. All you have to do is lift the lever and hold, slide the seat forward or backward, and release the lever to lock.
- Back Tension - As a premium feature, the back-tension controls resistance to body weight. To adjust, turn the knob clockwise for more resistance or counterclockwise for less.
- Integrated Seat Height Adjustment - The seat height adjusts to fit users of varying heights. To raise the chair, lift your body weight and pull the lever up. To lower it, stay seated and pull the lever up.
- Variable Back Stop - The back stop has four comfort settings for reclining. To set the recline angle, rotate the paddle to one of the four positions.
- Back Lock - The back lock will lock your recline position in place. To set the lock, push down on the paddle.
Weighing 38 pounds, the Jaku is bulkier than less expensive task chairs. It has a weight capacity of 275 pounds to support a wide range of users.
The Jaku is BIFMA 2017 certified, which is a huge differentiator in mid-market task seating.
This certification means that if the seat pan is fully extended and 275 pounds of weight is on the edge of the seat, the chair will not tip over.
The Jaku can cost anywhere from $300 to $500.
As with any other task chair, the price will increase as you go up in comfort, support, and adjustability.
If you need a chair right away, the Jaku is a great choice. It'll ship to you in five days, and shipping is completely free.
Cons of the AMQ Jaku Task Chair
Lack of Some Ergonomic Features
While the Jaku has more features than other mid-market chairs, it's not the most ergonomic chair on the market.
Still, it's a great option considering the affordable price point.
The Jaku has two assembly options: light assembly or fully assembled.
If you choose light assembly, you'll have to spend at least ten minutes putting it together, if not more than that.
For an additional fee, you can buy the chair fully assembled. With this option, you only have to worry about taking the chair out of the box and moving it.
In our experience, we've found it's better to pay for a fully assembled chair, as compared to one that requires assembly because you'll have to spend time putting it together.
Not Designed for Everyone
When it comes to AMQ task seating, most customers are in-between the Jaku and Siya chairs.
If you're considering either one, you should sit in both for a couple hours and consider what adjustments you need before you make a decision.
AMQ Jaku Task Chair Customization Options
The Jaku has several customization options, including conference and executive chair versions.
Available in a variety of finishes and fabrics, the design possibilities are endless:
- Frame Options - The Jaku has two frame color options: white and black.
- Fabric Options - The Jaku is available in 68 different Steelcase fabrics in the Radiance, Buzz, Era, and Connect collections.
- Base Options - The Jaku comes in three base options: polished aluminum, white, and black.
- Arm Adjustment Options - The Jaku is available with either fixed or three-way adjustable arms.
- Armrest Color Options - The Jaku armrests have two color options: white and black.
- Castor Options - The Jaku has two castor options: black or two-tone white/grey.
- Smart Sync Mechanism Options - If you choose this feature, it comes in two colors: light grey and black.
AMQ Jaku Task Chair Warranty Information
AMQ offers a 10-year warranty on all products, including the Jaku chair.
The warranty is based on normal installation and standard eight-hour use. It covers all parts, as well as approved labor for seating.
However, the warranty doesn't apply to defects from improper installation and use, customer modification, and normal wear and tear.
Should You Choose the AMQ Jaku Task Chair?
As with any other task chair, your final decision should depend on who you're buying it for - whether it be yourself or your employees.
If you're interested in a mid-market chair, AMQ chairs are a great option.
They all have different adjustments, so the chair you choose will depend on the specific features you or your employees want.
The Jaku is the best option for users who want a comfortable seating experience without buying an A-grade chair.
You'll give up the warranty and some adjustments, but not as much as you would with an import or C-grade chair.
Are You Ready to Take the Next Steps?
Whether you still have questions or you know what you're looking for, your partners at Egyptian are here to help. To learn more, schedule a consultation today!