Are you looking for an office task chair that's aesthetically pleasing and affordable? Regardless of who you're buying for, AMQ Jaku is a mid-market option that checks both of these boxes.
As AMQ's top-of-the-line task chair, Jaku combines high-performance seating with dynamic style. With its ergonomic features and design possibilities, it's fully customizable and reasonably priced.
Here at Egyptian Workspace Partners, we have 140 years of industry experience in helping clients find their everyday workplace essentials, including the perfect office task chair.
If you want to learn more about AMQ Jaku, you've come to the right place. In this review, we'll use third-party information and our own knowledge to help you decide if it's the right chair for you.
Specs of AMQ Jaku
To begin, let's take a look at the specifications of the standard AMQ Jaku task chair:
- Overall Depth - 17.75"
- Overall Width - 27"
- Overall Height - 39.25" - 42.5"
- Seat Height - 17" - 20.25"
- Seat Width - 19.25"
Key Features of AMQ Jaku
Unlimited Design Possibilities
If you're looking for a stylish and customizable office chair that's affordable, AMQ Jaku is a great option. It comes in two frame colors, three base options and more than 50 fabrics for seemingly endless design opportunities.
Removable Seat Covers
The Jaku task chair has removable seat covers in the Radiance, Buzz, Era and Connect fabric collections. These seat covers have zippers and Velcro closures, so you can easily clean or replace the seats without any hassle.
Pros of AMQ Jaku
AMQ Jaku has a sliding seat and a waterfall seat design to accommodate users of all shapes and sizes. It also has a backrest upholstered in a honeycomb, knitted mesh to provide breathable, ergonomic support.
With its intuitive adjustments, Jaku is fully customizable to user preferences. Although it comes with standard features, there are optional features you can choose from to maximize comfort.
For instance, the step sync mechanism comes standard with the Jaku, while the smart sync mechanism is a premium feature:
- Step Sync Mechanism - The step sync mechanism has a multi-position lock, a tension knob, an upright stop and an exposed knob on the front of the mechanism.
- Smart Sync Mechanism - The smart sync mechanism is fully concealed and has a variable backstop, an intuitive back tension dial and an upright stop.
- Three-Way Adjustable Arms - As an optional feature, the adjustable armrests move in three directions: forward and backwards, side-to-side and up and down.
- Height-Adjustable Lumbar Support - The lumbar support is designed to provide additional lower back support. To adjust, place your hands on the left or right sides of the chair to glide up or down.
- Seat Depth Adjustment - The seat depth adjusts to ensure all-day comfort. All you have to do is lift the lever and hold, slide the seat forward or backward and release the lever to lock.
- Back Tension - As a premium feature, the back-tension controls resistance to body weight. To adjust, turn the knob clockwise for more resistance or counterclockwise for less.
- Integrated Seat Height Adjustment - The seat height adjusts to fit users of varying heights. To raise the chair, lift your body weight and pull the lever up. To lower it, stay seated and pull the lever up.
- Variable Back Stop - The back stop has four comfort settings for reclining. To set the recline angle, rotate the paddle to one of the four positions.
- Back Lock - The back lock will lock your recline position in place. To set the lock, push down on the paddle.
At 38 pounds, Jaku may be bulkier than other office task chairs, but with a maximum weight capacity of 275 pounds, it can support a wide range of users.
It's also BIFMA 2017 certified, which means that if the seat pan is fully extended and 275 pounds of weight is on the edge of the seat, the chair will not tip over.
The Jaku chair can cost anywhere from $300 to $500. As with any other task chair, the price will increase as you go up in comfort, support and adjustability.
If you're on a tight schedule and need a chair right away, Jaku is an option to consider. AMQ will ship it to you in just five days, and shipping is completely free.
Cons of AMQ Jaku
Lack of Some Ergonomic Features
While AMQ Jaku has more features than other mid-market task chairs, it's not the most ergonomic chair on the market. Still, it's a great option considering how affordable it is.
Jaku has two assembly options: light assembly or fully assembled. If you choose light assembly, you'll have to spend at least ten minutes putting it together, if not more than that.
For an additional fee, you can buy the chair fully assembled. With this option, you only have to worry about taking the chair out of the box and moving it.
In our experience, we've found it's better to pay for a fully assembled chair, as compared to one that requires assembly because you'll have to spend time putting it together.
Not Designed for Everyone
When it comes to AMQ, most customers are in-between the Jaku and Siya. If you're considering either, you should sit in both for of a couple hours apiece and consider what adjustments you need before making a final decision.
AMQ Jaku Warranty Information
AMQ offers a 10-year warranty on all products, including the Jaku chair. This warranty is based on normal installation and standard eight-hour use. It covers all parts, as well as approved labor for seating.
Unfortunately, the warranty doesn't apply to defects from improper installation and use, customer modification and normal wear and tear.
AMQ Jaku Customization Options
- Frame Options - The Jaku has two frame color options: white and black.
- Fabric Options - The Jaku is available in 68 different Steelcase fabrics in the Radiance, Buzz, Era, and Connect collections.
- Base Options - The Jaku comes in three base options: polished aluminum, white and black.
- Arm Adjustment Options - The Jaku is available with either fixed or three-way adjustable arms.
- Armrest Color Options - The Jaku armrests have two color options: white and black.
- Castor Options - The Jaku has two castor options: black or two-tone white/grey.
- Smart Sync Mechanism Options - If you choose this feature, it comes in two colors: light grey and black.
is amq jaku right for you?
As with any other task chair, the chair you decide to buy should depend on who you're buying it for, whether it be yourself or an entire department of employees.
If you're want to save money without compromising value, AMQ task chairs are a great option. They all have different adjustments, so the chair you choose should depend on the specific features you want.
Although you'll give up the warranty and some adjustments, it won't be as much as you would with an important or C-grade chair. Plus, with its design options, you can design Jaku to be whatever you want it to be.
Want to learn more about office seating? Download our comprehensive guide below for an in-depth look at some of the best office task chairs available!